Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Which ITINs will expire January 1, 2017?

A1: The following ITINs will expire January 1, 2017:

  • ITINs with middle digits of 78 and 79 (e.g. 9NN-78-NNNN). The IRS sent Letter 5821 to taxpayers with those expiring ITINs.
  • ITINs that have not been used on a tax return for Tax Year 2013, Tax Year 2014, or Tax Year 2015

Q2: Which ITINs will NOT expire January 1, 2017?

A2: Any ITIN that does not have a middle digit of 78 or 79 and was used on a tax return for Tax Year 2013, Tax Year 2014, or Tax Year 2015 will not expire January 1, 2017.

Q3: What should I do if my ITIN expired January 1, 2017?

A3: You will need to renew your ITIN if you will be filing a tax return or claim for refund using the expired ITIN.  You should not renew an ITIN if the ITIN holder now has or is qualified to get a social security number (SSN). See Q&A12.

Q4: When can I renew my expired ITIN?

A4: Taxpayers whose ITINs have expired and they have a filing requirement, should submit their renewing application and federal return immediately. Taxpayers should allow 7 weeks for the IRS to notify you of your ITIN application status (9 to 11 weeks if you submit the application during peak processing periods (January 15 through April 30) or if you’re filing from overseas).

Q5: Can I submit copies of my identification documents with my application?

A5: No, only original identification documents or certified copies of the documents will be accepted by the IRS.

Q6: If I do not want to mail my original documents to the IRS when applying for or renewing my ITIN, do I have other options?

A6: Yes, USA Tax Rebate is a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) for the IRS, so you do not need to mail your official documents to the IRS by utilizing our services.

Q7: Do I need to renew my ITIN if I won’t be filing a tax return or claim for refund?

A7: No, however, in the future if you file a US tax return or claim for refund, the ITIN (including for a dependent) will need to be renewed at that time.

Q10: Can I renew my ITIN even though my ITIN is not expiring, and no one in my family has an ITIN that is expiring?

A10: Because your ITIN is not expiring and there are no tax implications at this time, one should wait and renew your ITIN when it is scheduled to expire. Only ITINs that were scheduled to expire at the end of 2016 and need to be included on a U.S. tax return in 2017 should be renewed now.

More questions?

For those who need immediate assistance, please call 1-888-479-6850 (or +1-807-346-1608 from outside North America).  We help you get an ITIN number now!

We've offered ITIN Number services for USA Non Residents since 1979.
Apply via our ITIN Number application or call us at  1-888-479-6850
(or +1-807-346-1608 from outside North America).



Full Name:





Postal Code:


Phone Number:

Cell Number:




Have you ever had or applied for a Social Security number?



Please give a detailed reason in the box below why you need an ITIN number so that we can evaluate your eligibility.

Do you speak English?



Preferred language?

Image verification

To submit this form, please enter the characters you see in the image:


Disclaimer: By submitting this application you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions.  Information you provide on this site will not be misused. See further details regarding use of information in our Privacy Policy.


© 2010 US Tax Rebate. All Rights Reserved. | Sitemap